Nicaragua Travel Information
The ‘Land of Lakes and Volcanoes’, Nicaragua is also home to beautiful Spanish built towns, cloud forests, active volcanoes, and secluded beaches.
Conde Nast Traveler described it as ‘A Paradise poised for discovery’ and The New York Times as ‘a land of extraordinary beauty’, Nicaragua is a country that once visited is never forgotten.
There are direct flights from Atlanta, Dallas, LA with additional direct flights from Chicago, Dallas, Houston and Los Angeles.
Nicaragua Top 10
- Beaches- Unspoiled, uncrowded and just as nature intended.
- Granada- Beautiful Spanish churches, courtyard dining, and a lake in the oldest inhabited city in the Americas
- Laguna de Apoyo– Swim in a volcano lake.
- Leon- Home to the largest cathedral in Central America.
- Little Corn Island – White sand, turquoise seas, lobster lunches and great diving.
- Masaya– Look into the mouth of an active volcano.
- Ometepe- Volcanoes, waterfalls and hot springs in the middle of a lake!
- Pearl Cays- 18 Caribbean islands with turquoise sea and white sand beaches.
- San Juan del Sur- The party beach in Nicaragua with luxury resorts, surf lodges and some of the best beaches in Nicaragua close by.
- Rio San Juan- Follow Mark Twain’s journey down this majestic river into the largest pristine rainforest in Central America.
- The oldest inhabited city in the Americas. Granada is a beautiful, safe and walkable colonial town with great value local restaurants, boutique hotels and a fantastic range of activities and tours.
- The city is also a great base for nearby tours to the active volcano at Masaya as well as the cloud forest atop Mombacho Volcano. You can combine a visit to the volcano with a swim in the close by Laguna de Apoyo.
- The city is on the shores of Lake Nicaragua, the largest freshwater lake in Central America. Las Isletas are 365 tiny islands that you can take a leisurely boat trip around. You can even hire one of the islands.
From Caribbean tropical island paradises to some of the best Pacific beaches in the Americas.
Here are our Top 5 beaches in Nicaragua.
Corn Islands: White sand, turquoise waters, world class diving and lobster lunches.
El Coco Beach: Every year from July to January thousands of Olive Ridley turtles come to lay their eggs on the sands of this beach.
Ocotal Beach: A beautiful shady cove, with great surfing. A little further north is a beach called Arena Blanca, with some of the clearest water and whitest sand on the Pacific coast of Nicaragua.
Playa Marsella: One of the prettiest and quietest beaches on the Pacific Coast of Nicaragua.
San Juan del Sur: The most popular beach in Nicaragua. Luxury spa resorts, surf lessons, and seafront seafood.